as amended on 29 August 2020
The person responsible for data processing is in accordance with the Data Protection Act:
piq Technology GmbH with headquarters in Düsseldorf
47877 Willich, Germany
Phone: +49 800 7777 747
- User/You: A person who has registered and logged on to piq for the purposes of using or potentially using the service.
- Shop: The local company that is solely responsible for receiving, executing and processing orders on behalf of the user.
Collection of your personal data
piq collects your personal data when you interact with us or use our services, for example when you use our website or app to place an order. We also monitor how visitors use our service so that we can improve it and optimize it for customer satisfaction. We also collect data for our recommendation marketing and via third-party websites, such as advertising platforms and social networks.
Data that we collect from you
piq collects your personal data in order to provide you with our service, including via our website and app. Examples of personal information collected from you include:
- User account information: We collect information when you create or update your piq user account. This includes, for example, name, email address, photo, date of birth, country, language, currency, password (encrypted), mobile phone number, social media accounts if you wish to link them, and limited banking information (including relevant information to verify the payment method). We may also ask for your food preferences.
- Your location: piq requires your consent to locate your geographical location in order to use the app. If you use the app on your mobile device, we will use geolocation to determine your location in real time. Depending on the other products and services you use, we may also be able to determine your exact or approximate location via your IP address or wireless network.
- piq collects location information when our app is in the foreground (i.e., when you are actively using the app). If our app is running in the background, we collect your location information only when necessary to process your order. For example, this happens when an order is being processed. Our tracking stops as soon as your order is completed.
- You may use the app without piq’s ability to track your location, but this will limit the functionality available to you. For example, we may not be able to connect you to shops in your area.
- Order Information: We collect information related to your use of our service. This includes, but is not limited to:
- what you have ordered;
- your ordering method;
- the date and time of your purchase;
- the amount paid for the order;
- Pickup information (e.g. distance and route);
- your payment method; and
- whether you have used a promotional code
- User content: We may collect information you provide when you contact piq’s customer service or information you send to piq through our shop partners, including ratings, tags, compliments, photos or comments.
- Usage data: We collect information about how you interact with our service. This includes information such as the date and time of access, what features you used and what web pages you viewed, crashes and other system activity, and which third-party websites you interacted with before using our service.
- Technical Data: When you use our app, we also process technical data such as your IP address, device ID or MAC address as well as information about the manufacturer, model, settings and operating system of your mobile device. We also record which version of the app you are using. When you visit our website, we process technical data such as your IP address, the pages you visit on our website, which Internet browser you use, the pages visited before/after visiting our website, and the duration of your visit or session.
- Survey or demographic data: We may offer you the opportunity to participate in one of our user surveys or our user research. Participation in user surveys or user research is voluntary. If you choose to participate, we use the information and survey results to better understand our users and to tailor and improve our services and promotions accordingly.
- Professional Information: If you would like to apply for a job advertised on our website, we collect personal information such as your name, e-mail address, telephone number and other information such as your resume. We use the information collected in this area of the Site to register and process your application, determine your qualifications for the position and contact you.
Information we collect from other sources
piq may also collect and combine personal information about you from other sources. These other sources may include, but are not limited to:
- Users who have provided your information in connection with our referral program:
- Until you activate your referral code, we may store your personal data provided by the referrer(s) in order to provide you with a relevant offer;
- users who provide your data in the context of a dispute;
- business partners such as external payment providers, social media services or other apps and websites that are integrated with piq;
- publicly available sources; and
- provider of marketing services.
From time to time, piq may also combine data from various sources with data collected by piq.
Use of your personal data
- Providing our service to you: piq uses the information collected to provide, maintain, customize and improve our service.
We use your personal information for the following purposes:
- Creating and managing your user account. This includes using your telephone number or e-mail address to verify your identity.
- Displaying Shops in your area. We use your location to show you Shops in your area. Identifying your location also allows us to show you the walking distance to shops, and to determine when an order should be placed or will be ready for pickup.
- Facilitate order processing and pickup. When you place an order through piq, your order and profile information is forwarded to the Shop so they can process your order in accordance with our contract with you. If you have uploaded a photo, it will also be forwarded. The Shop processing your order will use this photo to verify your identity. If you have already submitted a rating for an older order to this Shop, the last rating you submitted will also be forwarded for quality assurance purposes.
- Easier payment processing by our payment provider.
- Activation of the various functions of our product to protect our legitimate interests (discussed in more detail below), provided we have taken into account that these are not overridden by your rights. This includes for example personalization or partial functions. Personalization features include, for example, viewing recommendations, while content features allow you to share reviews, ratings, tags and discussions, for example.
- Correction of software errors and operating problems.
- If you upload a photo for your profile, the provider will use this photo to identify you. This may include displaying your photo visibly on in-store devices when your order is ready for pickup.
- User Content and Communication: piq may use content you provide, such as ratings, comments or photos, to make recommendations to other users and facilitate our business operations. piq may also enable shops to communicate with users. For example, a shop can contact you directly if there is a problem with your order.
- Research and Development: piq may use your personal data for testing or research, analysis and development of our services. This allows us to improve our service and the customer experience offered by our trading partners in the store and to determine where we should offer or target our service in order to protect our legitimate interests. We may share such information with third parties for industry analysis and statistical purposes.
- User Support: We use your profile, user account and usage information to assist you when you contact User Support. This allows us to direct your inquiry to the right person, review your request and assist you, and follow up later to ensure that the problem does not recur. We may also use your information to monitor and improve our user support responses.
- We may also use your real-time geographic location data to provide support services to the user or restaurant and to resolve technical or business issues that may arise from your use of the App. If you contact piq’s user support while an order is being processed and it is necessary to use your real-time geographic location data to answer your question, our support staff will seek your approval before your location is located.
- Communications from piq: piq uses your contact information to communicate with you about your activities, our service, your account and (provided we have your prior permission) piq news, special offers and events. If you have given us permission, we may also send you notifications about studies and surveys.
- If you have placed an order through the App, we may send you push notifications to your mobile phone to keep you informed of the current status of your order. If you do not wish to receive push notifications, you can withdraw your permission at any time by changing your settings on the appropriate page on your mobile device.
- If a problem occurs with the processing of your order (for example, if a coffee shop runs out of skim milk and you have ordered a low-fat latte macchiato), piq can send you a push message to alert you to the problem.
- We may also need to communicate with you via your account or piq’s service. For example, we may send you an e-mail to verify that e-mail address or to notify you of a temporary suspension of our service for maintenance purposes.
- Provided we have your prior permission, piq may also use your contact information to send you general updates on piq news, special offers, promotions and contests. We may also display customized advertisements on third-party websites and other platforms. You can opt out of these updates at any time by following the instructions in each of our messages.
- Public Forums: The Site and the App may offer public blogs and community forums. We will use your personally identifiable information, such as your name, email address, and the messages or content you post, to implement and provide these services to you.
Forwarding of your personal data
- Transfer of data to our service providers: We may employ third party companies and individuals to enable or provide certain services on our behalf. Examples include processing payments, providing user support, providing location information to our shops, hosting our application form, performing website-specific services (e.g., specifically, maintenance services, database administration, web analytics, and improving site functionality), or assisting us in analyzing how our service is used.
The file containing your personal data is stored at our offices or on our servers or the servers of our service providers. Our employees and those employees of our service providers who need this information to perform their jobs have access to this file.
These third parties have access to your personal data solely for the purpose of carrying out these tasks on our behalf and are contractually obliged to keep this data confidential, not to pass it on or use it for any other purpose. If you would like more information about how our service providers treat your personal information, please contact us as described below.
Your personal data may also be transferred outside the jurisdiction in which you are located (in particular to third countries outside the European Union and to any location where piq is represented) and may be subject to the laws of the recipient country, which are different from the laws of your jurisdiction and also with respect to the legal requirements for data protection. By using our service, you consent to the transfer of your personal data outside your jurisdiction for the purpose of storing and processing your personal data, even if a data transfer is made to a third country outside the European Union and the data protection regulations of the DSGVO applicable there and we have not provided a guarantee in accordance with Art. 46 Para. 1 DSGVO that equivalent data protection exists there.
- Sale of Business: We may transfer any information that we have about you as an asset in connection with any subsequent proposed or completed merger or sale (including any transfer made as part of an insolvency or bankruptcy proceeding) in which all or part of piq is involved, or as part of a corporate reorganization or other change in management.
- Legal Requirements: piq and our service providers may disclose your personal information in response to a search warrant or other valid request or demand, or to a company in the event of a breach of contract or violation of the law or as otherwise required or permitted by local law. piq may also disclose your personal information to the extent required or necessary by law for the following purposes: to establish, exercise or defend legal claims and legal proceedings; to investigate or prevent actual or suspected personal injury or property damage; to detect, prevent or suppress fraud; or in an emergency relating to your health and/or safety; or disclosure to our auditors, legal advisors and other consultants.
Cookies and similar technologies
Cookies are files that are usually stored on your device while you are browsing and using websites. They make your online experience faster and help with things like personalization, reporting and advertising. Cookies are not the only technology that enables this functionality. You can set your browser preferences to reject all or some browser cookies or to notify you when websites set or access cookies. Please note: If you disable or reject cookies, some areas of the Site may no longer be accessible or may not function properly.
If you have given your consent or if we have a good reason to do so (and it is permitted by law), we will use your data to inform you about our other products and services that may be of interest to you and will contact you for this purpose. If you do not wish to receive direct marketing communications from us, you can simply click on the “Unsubscribe” link in our email message to you.
Information for our customers from the EU
Legal basis for our data processing
With regards to personal data that is subject to the German Data Protection Act (“DSGVO”), we collect and process personal data from you only to the extent that we have a legal basis for doing so.
Insofar as we obtain the consent of the data subject for processing of personal data, Art. 6 para. 1 lit. a DSGVO serves as the legal basis.
When processing personal data which is necessary for the performance of a contract to which the data subject is a party, Art. 6 para. 1 lit. b DSGVO serves as the legal basis. This also applies to processing operations which are necessary to carry out pre-contractual measures.
Insofar as processing of personal data is necessary to fulfil a legal obligation to which our company is subject, Art. 6 para. 1 lit. c DSGVO serves as the legal basis.
If the processing is necessary to safeguard a legitimate interest of our company or of a third party and if the interests, fundamental rights and freedoms of the data subject do not outweigh the former interest, Art. 6 para. 1 lit. f DSGVO serves as the legal basis for the processing.
As examples of the legitimate interests of piq under the DSGVO, we may collect, use, forward and process your personal data for the following purposes:
- to protect you, us or others from risks (such as security threats or fraud).
- to enable or conduct our business activities, e.g. quality control, consolidated reporting and user service.
- to effect business transactions such as mergers or acquisitions.
- to generally understand and improve our business or our relationships with our users.
- to enable us and other users to connect with each other, find work and business opportunities, express opinions, share information and conduct business.
By using our service, you consent to this collection, use, transfer and processing of your personal information.
If we rely on your consent when processing personal data, you have the right to withdraw or refuse your consent at any time. Insofar as we rely on legitimate interests in accordance with the DSGVO, you have the right to object to this. These rights are explained in more detail below. If you have any questions about the legal basis on which we collect and use your personal data, please contact our data protection officer: email@example.com.
Your rights under the GDPR and how you can exercise these rights
- Under the GDPR, you have the following rights pertaining to certain circumstances:
- Right to information: You have the right to clear, transparent and easily accessible information about your rights and our use of your personal data.
- Right of access: You have the right to a copy of your personal data kept by us.
- Right to rectification: You have the right to request the rectification of your personal data.
- Right to deletion: You have the right to request the deletion or removal of certain personal data that we have about you
- Right to restriction of processing: You have the right to request that we restrict the processing of your personal data.
- Right to data portability: You have the right to receive your personal data in an accessible and transferable format so that you can continue to use it for your own purposes together with other service providers. However, this is not a general right and exceptions apply.
- Right to withdraw consent: insofar as we rely on your consent when processing personal data, you have the right to withdraw or refuse your consent at any time, and insofar as we rely on legitimate interests, you have the right to object (as set out above). However, by withdrawing your consent, our use of your data during the time that the consent was still in force will not be considered unlawful.
- Right to lodge a complaint: You have the right to lodge a complaint with the national data protection authority about how we handle or process your data.
If you would like to exercise any of the aforementioned rights, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or in writing at the postal address given above. You can also find more information about your rights under the GDPR on the website of the European Commission.
Duration of storage of personal data at piq
In general, we keep your personal data either until you terminate your user account, which is necessary to fulfil our contractual obligations towards you, or until data storage is no longer required for the above purposes or for any other fulfillment of legal requirements.
We will store the data for as long as is necessary to fulfil the purposes explained in this data protection declaration. When determining the relevant retention period, we take the following aspects into account:
- our contractual obligations and rights regarding the data concerned;
- the legal obligation(s) under applicable law to keep the data for a certain period of time;
- the limitation period under the relevant and applicable law;
- our legitimate interests, whereby we have carried out considerations (see section “How we use your personal data”);
- guidelines issued by the relevant data protection authorities; and
- any other legal purposes.
Otherwise, we will delete your data in a secure manner if it is no longer needed for the purposes for which it was collected.
- After deleting your user account, we will anonymize your data, unless such information is required to fulfil a legal obligation or to settle legal disputes. If you would like to delete your piq user account or ask us to stop using your data to provide services to you, please contact us at email@example.com.
Protection of personal data at piq
- Our security measures: piq uses reasonable technical, physical and organizational security measures to protect the personal information we hold and manage from unauthorized access and use, modification and disclosure, and accidental loss, destruction or damage. For example, we use traditional, industry-standard, commercially reasonable security practices such as encryption, firewalls, and secure socket layers (SSL), as well as physical security measures in the locations where the information is stored. However, as effective as the encryption technology is, no security system is impregnable. We cannot guarantee the security of our database, nor can we guarantee that the data you provide will not be intercepted during transmission to us over the Internet. Any transmission of your data to piq is at your own risk. To the extent that you have chosen a password that enables you to access our website or app, you are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of that password. We strongly recommend that you do not share your password with anyone else.
Automated decision-making processes at piq
Fraud detection is partly based on automated decision-making processes. We carry out fraud checks on all piq customers. If we believe fraudulent activity has occurred, we may suspend you or your account so that you cannot place orders or use our website and app. We may also share this information with our payment provider to prevent you from re-registering with the same payment information. We may also use automated decision-making processes to provide you with certain benefits or rewards, such as discounts at certain shops.
We may update this privacy statement at any time to reflect changes in our information practices. If we make material changes, we will notify you by email and by posting a notice on the Site. We encourage you to check this page periodically for the latest information on our privacy practices.